Sunday, July 22, 2012

venezia part 1

Hello all!
So I've decided that since I took over 500 photos in Italy, it was only right to edit them down and make sure you're getting the absolute best of the best. Which is taking a reaallyy long time. So I've decided to try to break the posts down into city, but I found myself needing at least two entries for each city so far. So here's part one of Venice, the first stop on our trip. The photos below were taken at Saint Mark's Square in the center of Venice. The Byzantine church in the back is the church of Saint Mark and it is absolutely incredible to look at; even the inside is all gold. And the best part about Venice is that no matter how lost you get in the winding, twisting alleyways trying to pass as streets, you can always find your way back if you can find a sign for "San Marco." On this first day we sat by the canal and made watercolor postcards to send home. I've always considered myself two-dimensionally challenged when it comes to art, but my postcards weren't a complete disaster. Anyway, Venice is one of my favorite places in the world and I had the best time. 




Outfit Details
Black tank: American Apparel
Lace top: Forever 21
Crochet Shorts: Free People
Necklace: Free People
Shoes: Toms
Sunglasses: Free People 

Below I've posted some of my favorite snapshots from this amazing city on the water! 


Pigments that are crushed and then made into paint


A shot from our water taxi on the Grand Canal 


Our tour guide stopped us on the Rialto bridge to point out these locks to us. Apparently, couples put the locks on the bridges to show that they are locked together for life. So cute!






This statue of the four tetrarchs from the Roman Empire is one of my favorites. Instead of depicting certain people, the emperor Diocletian wanted to project an image of the concept of the tetrarch as a ruling power. The statue is divided into two pairs, each consisting of one older and one younger man, as if the older one were instructing the younger. This statue also shows a shift from naturalistic figures to a more stylized image with stout proportions. 



Keep Calm and Chiffon 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my site! I read each and every comment and they make me smile like crazy. If you follow my site, let me know, leave your URL in the comments and I'll be sure to check yours out! :)