Tuesday, March 12, 2013

22-22-22

I love the New York Times. I really do. I'm lucky that my school is subscribed to it and I always pick it up on Thursdays and cut out images from the style section and add them to my inspiration journals. And although the images are the first thing that capture my attention, they are nothing if not backed up with engaging, of-the-moement articles. Take this one from March 1st. It discusses how young people work tons of hours and are way under paid as a result. Check out this quote from the article:

"'We need to hire a 22-22-22,' one new-media manager was overheard saying recently, meaning a 22-year-old willing to work 22-hour days for $22,000 a year. Perhaps the middle figure is an exaggeration, but its bookends certainly aren’t."

Many jobs in fashion require people to be constantly attached to their smart phones and the thought of abandoning the device for even a moment could result in being so backed up in so many e-mails and text messages that you could go crazy. In this age of technology, new questions are raised such as, "Is a tweet considered labor?" Do all of the extra hours that various employees spend in front of a screen prove to make a considerable difference in the work they do? Hmm. Definitely something to ponder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my site! I read each and every comment and they make me smile like crazy. If you follow my site, let me know, leave your URL in the comments and I'll be sure to check yours out! :)